The Centennial Museum opened on June 6, 2009 as part of the town’s 100 Year Celebration.
Housed in the municipal building dating from the 1950’s, the collection details early rails, the spring, tobacco, individuals, government, and much more. Citizens have provided a very “creative” and “intriguing” display which can be enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.
The museum houses several pieces from the early railroad doctor, J. M. Judd and family, including an 1898 organ. Hear the story of their wedding day!
Elliotts Pharmacy, the oldest drug store in town, closed in the spring of 2013 after 99 years of serving the community. View the artifacts and articles once sold there in our museum case.
When the tour is finished, visitors should be able to relate the story of the historic quilt display. Each square is the quilter’s interpretation of our town’s history!
New additions to the museum include the opening of the jails cells located in the back of the municipal building. Also located within the jail cell area are histories and historic artifacts related to the Police Department, Fire Department and Rescue Squad.
The Heulon Dean Collection includes photos documenting Fuquay-Varina past as well as examples of photographic work prior to the age of digital photography.